Woodwind & Brass Service & Repairs
About our Woodwind and Brass Repair Facility
So, whether your instrument needs a major repair or simply routine maintenance or maybe you have an instrument that has not been played for years, needing some restoration work, we can offer a cost effective and warranted solution.
As this service is very popular pre-booking is essential, although we will always aim to work around your schedule for lessons, rehearsals etc. where possible.
Depending on the works required, from our Tunbridge wells branch, we aim for a target turnaround time of 7 days and from our New Haw branch we have a target turnaround of 14 days (due to transfer time between branches)
Contact us or visit one of our Stores to arrange a Booking
To make an enquiry or booking call 01892 526659 (Tunbridge Wells) or 01932 351165 (New Haw)
Alternatively, you can send us an email on email@example.com
What Service and Maintenance options are available?
The levels of woodwind service options are described below
An ideal option just before an exam or concert to ensure that the instrument is in good playing order. (Please note – this is not a service)
- The pads are re-seated and regulated.
- The condition of the pads, key corks/felts and tenons are assessed.
- If necessary the tenons and sockets (joints) are refitted.
- An additional Charge applies to any pads, corks or felts that need replacing
Recommended every twelve to eighteen months. Regular servicing will prolong the life and value of an instrument.
- The instrument is checked for any major damage,
- Any bent key work is straightened
- Any significant dents are removed.
- All key work is removed from the body of the instrument.
- Tarnish and finger acid is removed from plated surfaces (where applicable).
- Tarnish, dirt and dust is removed from all joints, pillars and tone holes, checking for damage to tone holes.
- If the instrument is wooden it is oiled both inside the bore and on outer surfaces.
- The pillars are cleaned through to remove all traces of old dirty oil, checked for any damage or misalignment and are repaired if needed.
- Springs are checked for breakage and rust and are replaced and refitted where required.
- The tenons and sockets (joints) are cleaned, checked for damage and repaired and refitted if necessary.
- Tarnish, dirt and dust is removed from all key work.
- Traces of dirty old oil are removed from key work and screws so they are ready for re-oiling.
- Pads, corks and felts are cleaned and checked.
- Damaged pads or missing corks are replaced where needed.
- The key work is re-oiled and mounted back on the instrument.
- Pads are checked for correct seating, alignment and opening (venting).
- Spring tensions are checked and balanced.
- Lastly the instrument is tested.
Student Overhaul (Re-pad)Recommended for a student instrument that has not been serviced in several years. It can also be a good investment for instruments bought second hand to ensure that the instrument is in full playing order.
- All aspects of a service are carried
- All the instrument’s pads are replaced.
- If any corks, felts or springs have worn loose or are missing they are also replaced.
- All aspects of a service are carried out
- All pads are replaced.
- All key corks/felts are replaced.
- All springs are replaced
- All dents and scratches are removed where possible
- A full inspection of all screws (adjusting, rod and pivot) is carried out, and these are refinished or replaced if necessary.
- Re-plating or lacquering if needed
Recommended for professional instruments that have not been serviced for several years.
Ensures the instrument is in full playing order and as close to new condition as possible.
Valve and slide overhauls and wash throughs are available.
Services are also offered on brass instruments, and are recommended if the instrument has not been washed through and/or played for a few years.PLEASE NOTE
*due to the individual requirements of each instrument, service and repair, it is not possible to guarantee turnaround times and prices. Estimates can be given instore; however, these are an indication, NOT a guarantee.
**there is a minimum charge of £20+VAT, any repairs that fall in this price range will automatically be undertaken without consulting the customer. Quotes can be requested for all other work prior to it being carried out.